In response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, the Navy has released millions of instructions to provide guidance to the Fleet. It seems like there has been a new instruction released every day. We have summarized those instructions here:
But don’t take our word for it, the actual instruction is also included!
Note: Since this is an on-going pandemic, this post will be updated as new guidance is put out. Check back to stay updated!
If you are experiencing any difficulty during the COVID-19 crisis, please reach out to one of the resources provided by the Navy. Those resources can be found here.
March 24, 2020
NAVADMIN 083/20 - Restriction of Movement (ROM) Guidance
- Requires all personnel returning from a Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travel Health Notice (THN) Level 3 or Level 2 location perform a 14-day ROM.
- Service member should be restricted to their residence and limit close contact (within 6 feet of others).
- A list of countries with a CDC THN of Level 3 or 2 can be found here.
March 23, 2020
ALNAV 029/20 - State and Local Shelter-in-Place Orders Impact on DON Operations
- In response to state and local governments that have issued shelter-in-place, stay-at-home, self-quarantine, curfews, etc.
- To ensure continuity of operations, Commanders may direct that personnel under their command (to include active, reserve, civilian, and foreign military members) to continue to perform their official duties.
- Federal law exempts military and federal civilian personnel from state and local government orders.
NAVADMIN 082/20 - Navy Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Policy Update
- Announces immediate suspension of TAP in-person classes.
- Service members who will be separating soon can complete TAP online via Joint Knowledge Online (JKO). Details can be found here
- This also applies to reserve members on active duty orders greater than 179 days (paragraphs a and b of the NAVADMIN).
- Mobilized reservists who are within 60 days of redeployment or demobilization must complete TAP via JKO and present the certificate at ECRC.
March 21, 2020
NAVADMIN 080/20 - Navy Mitigation Measures in Response to Coronavirus Outbreak (Update 3)
- Consolidates all NAVADMINs for ease of reference.
- Adds guidance for an Authorized Departure (AD) of DoD eligible family members (EFMs) and civilian employees (Paragraph 3.H).
March 19, 2020
ALNAVRESFOR 009 / 20 – Increased Telework Opportunities
- Commander, Navy Reserve Force (CNRF) has waived the normal telework administrative requirements.
- Usually, in order to telework, a member must route a telework package that consists of training, a telework agreement, a telework eligibility checklist, a telework request form, and a Page 13 that is signed by their supervisor, OSO, and NRA CO. These will not be required through 11 May to allow Sailors to complete IDT via telework.
- Sailors who will complete IDTs via telework are reminded to use the “telework” drop-down option in EDM.
- Navy recruit (enlisted) and Officer graduation ceremonies canceled until further notice.
March 18, 2020
NAVADMIN 71 / 20 – Physical Readiness Policy Update
- The PRT is CANCELED for Cycle 1, 2020. No further action required by members or CFLs. This includes members who have already completed it for this cycle.
- All group PT has also been suspended.
NAVADMIN 72 / 20 – Postponement of Selection Board Schedule
- Selection boards schedule to convene on or after 24 March are postponed until further notice.
NAVADMIN 73 / 20 – Temporary relaxation of hair grooming standards
- Temporary relaxation of male and female hair length standards. This only applies to the scalp (No, you cannot grow out your sideburns and beard ;) ).
- Relaxed grooming should not interfere with the proper wearing of Navy head gear and protective personal equipment.
March 17, 2020
NAVADMIN 68 / 20 – Effective use of Remote Work Options
- Direction for shore commands to increase teleworking opportunities
NAVADMIN 69 / 20 – Enlisted Advancement Exams Postponed
- All enlisted exams scheduled after 17 March are postponed to the following dates:
- 21 May – Cycle 247 (E-4 FTS and Active Duty)
- 22 May – Cycle 106 (E-4 through E-7 SELRES approved for late exam will take the exam the next available DWE after this date)
- 12 June – Cycle 247 (E-4 through E-6 final date to administer substitute exams)
- This means that advancement results and E-7 selection board eligibility will not be released until July.
March 15, 2020
ALNAVRESFOR 008 / 20 – Navy Reserve Mitigation Measures in Response to Coronavirus
- Drill weekends are canceled through 11 May.
- AT/IDT/IDTT orders that require travel are prohibited.
March 14, 2020
ALNAV 26 / 20 – Official and Personal Domestic Travel Force Health Protection Guidance for DON
- All travel OCONUS and CONUS are prohibited from 16 March to 11 May. This includes PCS and TAD/TDY orders. Only local leave is authorized.
NAVADMIN 65 / 20 – Overseas Travel
- No OCONUS travel unless mission essential.
March 12, 2020
ALNAV 25 / 20 – Force Protection Guidance for the DON
NAVADMIN 64 / 20 – Navy Mitigation Measures in Response to Coronavirus Outbreak
- These are the Navy’s initial reaction to the outbreak. Key points here:
- No OCONUS travel unless mission essential
- Wash your hands